Saturday, May 19, 2012

Chen Guangcheng to the United States

Looks like the Chinese Government permitted activist Chen Guangcheng to depart China for New York University. I hope that removes this as an issue in the American presidential campaign. I support human rights and our Government's efforts in support of human rights. By the same token, I was troubled that the plight of one activist in one repressive country threatened to become a political issue. In my view the United States cannot be put in the position of being some kind of guarantor of human rights throughout the globe and American politicians and other Americans should be criticized for trying to use the plight of activists around the globe as a domestic political football. That holds true, for me, whether the politician be Republican or Democrat. I'm sure some of you will disagree!