Saturday, March 1, 2014

Why I Love My Google Maps and Waze Apps

I had occasion to use both my Google Maps and Waze applications on my iPhone today, February 28th, while navigating from my home to West Los Angeles and back for a delightful lunch with two former college classmates.  The inclement weather gave me concerns about freeway driving so I turned to these GPS navigation tools for help.  And, in the course of using the devices I realized why I really love them.

Aside from the soothing female voice that provides directions, I think the key to my affection for these GPS applications is simple: no matter how often I disregard the directions I am being given and take some other route, she never gets angry at me, never yells at me, never tells me how dumb I am for disregarding her directions, always remains calm and always remains unflappable.  No matter how misguided my decision was, she simply recalibrates the route to coincide with the new path I have taken and provides me with a new set of instructions designed to get me to my destination.


Lest you think my feelings toward Google Maps and Waze say more about me than about these applications, well, what can I say!