Tuesday, January 20, 2015

I used to be a political junkie

I used to be a political junkie.  The State of the Union address was a high point for me, not only in listening to the President, whoever he was, speak to members of Congress and others of the political leadership and lay out his program, but even just in watching him enter the chamber to recognition and applause from both sides of the political aisle, a sign of our political stability despite political paralysis.

But my passion for politics has ebbed in recent years.  Old age (mine)?  Perhaps in part, particularly in that I have been older than our three most recent presidents (and arguably wiser!).  Gridlock in Washington?  Absolutely.  Extreme partisanship on cable news?  Most definitely.  Same old same old (plus ça change plus c'est la même chose)?  You said it.

I'll likely watch tonight but my heart is no longer in it.  Maybe I should run for office!  (just kidding, ladies & gentlemen, and others!)