Monday, June 20, 2016

A Childhood Fantasy Realized

Well, there I was. No uniform. No whistle. But finding myself in the supermarket parking lot, taking shopping bags from the trunk of my car to head into the market. As I turned, I saw two cars backing out, albeit slowly, but on a collision trajectory. Each stopped, seeing the other, but then each proceeded. Then stopped, then ... you get the picture. So here was that lifetime opportunity. I stepped up, raised my hand so that one driver could clearly see it and me, signalling for him to stop, and with my other hand I waved to the other driver to proceed. Both complied and both finally were able to drive off safely. My brief experience as a traffic cop, one of those childhood fantasies many of us have had, was fulfilled. But I sure would have preferred having a whistle handy!